Been busy having fun, here’s a catch-you-up post.

Beverly wasn’t feeling well on Tuesday (a day off from school) so she laid around most the day and took it easy. But Wednesday she was worse. She kept complaining of her stomach. Andy had work at 6 AM that morning, so when I found Beverly on the floor in front of my door, clutching her stomach Wednesday morning, I knew I needed to take her in. After being treated by the best doctor we’ve ever met, we waited to get her prescription. This kind, grungy veteran came up and gave her a stuffed M&M toy. It was obviously second hand: dirty, and peeling on the fabric. He explained he bought hundred of them from an estate sale just for the purpose of giving to children he comes across. Beverly is normally very shy, but when she is sick she pretty much goes mute. I told him thank you as he handed her the toy. To be honest, I was a little grossed out by it; I told her when we got home I’d give it a good cleaning. But I knew when he came up and tried to give it to her that this moment wasn’t about me. I didn’t even think it was about Beverly, but as we drove home, I looked in my rear view mirror at my sick little daughter clutching this little gift. It meant more to her than I had realized.

I got the medicine in her as soon as we got it and told her we’d pick something up on the way home for her to eat. I should’ve had her eat first, because the amoxicillin did not sit well her in her stomach. We pulled up to a fast food place called “Cook Out” right outside of the fort. We walked in and went to order and she tugged on my shirt to tell me she was going to throw up. We rushed to the bathroom. She dry-heaved a few times but said she was good. I was relieved because I knew she needed to keep the medicine in her system for it to work. The second we walked out of the restroom she puked all over the floor. I went up to the counter and told them about what happened and asked Beverly if she still wanted to eat something, knowing she probably should whether she wanted to or not. I went back up to order and placed my order. Just as I was going to pay, a man came up behind me and said he wanted to pay for our order. My initial reaction was, no, that’s ok, but he insisted. I realized later, that when I offer to do something kind for others, I am the one who walks away feeling better. Perhaps, that is what he needed. It was touching none-the-less, and a great reminder of what a wonderful area we live in.

Crista sent me an article later in the week titled, “Earning and Extending Empathy.” Here’s an excerpt from it that really rang true to me:

Elder Ulisses Soares noted that, “as we intentionally strive to incorporate a compassionate attitude in our way of life, as exemplified by the Savior, we will become more sensitive to people’s needs. With that increased sensitivity, feelings of genuine interest and love will permeate our every action.”

Second, offer the kind of help you are uniquely qualified to give. After Jesus perceived the needs of the Nephites at Bountiful, He beckoned them closer. He then healed their sick and blessed their children. He did things only the Savior of the world could do.

These were my take-aways:

  1. The gospel is wonderful! I love that the gospel invites us to good. In fact, Come Follow Me this past week included the verse from Philippians 4:8:
    • “Finally, bretheren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
    • Indeed we need to seek after and BE the good in this messed up world.
  2. I LOVE the part that says we have a unique and specific way we are qualified to help. Andy has a very specific skill set that allows him to help people in a unique way and I too am qualified from life experiences, lessons learned, and knowledge gained to help those in my family and community. It is empowering, inspiring, and comforting to know we go through the things we do so we can help others. Those two men who were my little angels on a rough day for Beverly had unique ways to lift us up and took those opportunities to do just that!

After a few days of the medicine, she began to act like herself (though the amoxicillin still gives her tummy aches). She told Andy she didn’t need to take it any more because she was feeling better. He told her she needed to finish the medicine for it to have its full effect. It reminded me of the gospel. Sometimes when we are consistently living the principles of the gospel we don’t always recognize the blessings that we have in our life are coming from the choice to live the gospel. We may even think, “Hey my life is good, why would I need to have these extra restrictions.” When in fact, it is the “restrictions” that are directly causing the good consequences in our life.

For “Indigenous People” day we camped overnight at a military campsite. It is right on the lake. We invited friends, but none of them felt up to camping so they met us for s’mores and hot dogs and headed home. We went to bed shortly after and had fun looking at the very clear starry sky.

The kids learned how to billow a fire, cast a fishing line, and cook up a hot dog on a stick. No major injuries and only a mildly rough night of sleep, but a wonderful memory making trip.

Maverick had to get his Christmas present early. He has been BEGGING for a turtle for over two years now. We told him NO at first, but we looked into it and decided it wouldn’t be too much work. We had planned on giving the little guy to Maverick on Christmas, but Andy discovered that you couldn’t get baby turtles in the winter, which is what you want if you want them to bond to you. So we asked Maverick if he’d be ok not getting as much Christmas morning and getting his main present now. He was beyond excited, so let’s hope he remembers that on Christmas morning. Maverick named his little two inch turtle Cherry. Cherry is so darling; he has won over all of our hearts already.

Andy and I went on a quick date night with his motorcycle. I received a Facebook message from the lady we bought it from. She told me her husband had passed away and that her son really wanted the bike back in the family and wanted to buy it back from us. We actually tried to sell it about three years ago when Andy came back from a week at the ER seeing 3 separate incidents where bikers were left decapitated. No one wanted it at the time and Andy’s price was a good indicator that he wasn’t ready to part from it. It really was a necessity in medical school. It probably saved us a thousand dollars (once you take out the price of the bike) between gas, toll way price, and really pricey med-center parking. It came in handy again when our jeep died. Our good friend ended up repairing our jeep, but in the interim he was able to commute with the bike, once again saving our butts. When I received that message from this kind lady, I told Andy it was up to him, but we both felt good about saying yes. (To be honest, the extra garage space will be nice!). We’re not sure when he’ll make it back up here, who knows he may back out, but we’re going to enjoy it till he does.

I almost missed the eclipse. Georgia is on the outer edges of it, so it wasn’t a full eclipse, but it was still cool to see a “bite” out of the sun.

Leave a Reply